Saturday, October 2, 2010

If I Had a Million Dollars


Remember the children’s book “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day?”  If not – this kid Alexander has the worst day imaginable for a child and responds to each situation with “Tomorrow I’m moving to Australia.”  Well growing up I thought that sounded like a pretty good idea myself, and I credit this story with prompting my desire to someday go to Australia.  

In college I had this misconception that upon graduating and becoming employed full-time I would be able to travel, shop and not worry about money.  Boy was I wrong.  I’m currently operating under the “by the time I’m 30 strategy…”  Time will tell.   In the mean time I daydream.

To appease my imagination I take some time to explore travel sites and build myself magnificent vacations – which I will not be taking any time in the foreseeable future.  I pick a flight during the 2nd or 3rd week of the month, per the corporate accounting schedule.  I search all my options till I find an ideal hotel with a gorgeous pool and track down an ideal tour or two to adequately explore the area.  And then the website asks me for the name of the reservation.  That’s where the fantasy comes to a screeching halt.  

So until 30 – or whenever I win the lottery, which I don’t happen to play so my odds are slim;  whenever I have a terrible day, or really just want to take a vacation I think “tomorrow I’m going to Australia.”


No comments:

Post a Comment