Thursday, October 28, 2010

Full House

 
                I’m no Rachael Ray but lately I’ve been making a more zealous attempt at expanding my dinner rotation list.  (Pizza, Tacos, Steak Sandwiches, Wings)  I spend hours reading recipe after recipe trying to find an agreeable menu that is not so complicated.  And boyfriend offers limited guidance…so it’s all up to me.

Boyfriend: “What’s for dinner?”
Me: “What would you like?”
Boyfriend: “I’ll eat whatever.”
Me: *Sigh*

                So a couple weeks ago I found a breaded pork chop recipe. Looked simple enough.  Went to Wegmans, got everything I needed and headed to boyfriend’s house to make it.  The instructions told me to put it on the stove in oil, on medium for 6 minutes on each side.

                As an aside, boyfriend has two dogs.  Sometimes I like them.  But while I’m cooking they are baby gated outside of the kitchen.  You should also know that one of the dogs permanently wears a giant plastic cone on his head.  (That’s a whole other story we can save for a different day.)

                Back to pork chops.  Well either the instructions concept of medium heat or perception of time differ significantly from mine, and in less than 6 minutes, while I went to change into comfy clothes, my pork chops were billowing smoke.  Well of course this sets off the smoke detector (which I had insisted he put new batteries in), startling the dog in the cone which makes him knock over the baby gate into the kitchen and try to get under the kitchen table. Meanwhile boyfriend is dragging a chair to get the batteries out of the smoke alarm and rushing to open all the windows.  

                I picked off the burnt breading and it turns out the chops were salvageable – and mostly tasty to be honest with you.  But when a couple of friends, with more experience in the kitchen than I, suggested I use my crock pot the next time I attempt pork, I took their advice.  Turns out, while I can create pandemonium cooking on the stove, I can’t screw up pulled pork.  And lucky for me, boyfriend means it when he says “I’ll eat whatever.”



No comments:

Post a Comment