Friday, October 15, 2010

TGIF

               Most of you are familiar with the 90’s late afternoon programming on ABC, TGIF.  Full House, Step by Step, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Family Matters and Boy Meets World – to name a few.  Personally, I had to Google that list.  Actually – any references I recognize originating from television during my growing up years is the result of dedicated periods of playing catch-up during college. 
               
               Why?   No I wasn’t raised Amish.  Yes we had a television and cable.  No we were not allowed to watch TV on school days – or any time that we could possibly be safely playing outside.
               
                I’ve probably watched four or five episodes of Full House in my life time.  I didn’t know who Bob Saget was until he hosted America’ Funniest Home Videos.  Not once have I seen an episode of Saved by the Bell, Growing Pains or Who’s The Boss

                It’s become a game, almost for friends of mine.  Let’s see how many things Rachel truly has never seen.  And every time it’s the same thing –

“Did you see….?”
“You know I did not”
“You didn’t see…?!?!?!”

And don’t even get me started on movies.  Boyfriend got Netflix last winter and thought he’d try and catch me up – till I started asking half-way through them “how much longer is this?”  Considering my attention span is approximately 75 minutes in length.  Give or take a truly captivating story line.  Well that and I’m slightly more selective about movies than he is.

                We grew up on Disney movies, Saturday morning cartoons, School House Rock and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?  (I loved Carmen Sandiego.)  We watched reruns - old school Batman with Adam West, Gilligan’s Island and Flipper.  (I loved Flipper.)

                I did make the effort to catch up on all Boy Meets World episodes my freshman year of college- and thanks to VH1’s I Love the 90's series I’ve accumulated more than a few necessary visual and cultural trends.   So if you don’t feel like providing me with detailed explanations, I suggest you limit your references to Boy Meets World.  Or Disney movies.


No comments:

Post a Comment