Thursday, October 21, 2010

If You’re Not Cheatin’ You’re Not Tryin’?

                Once upon a time, my dear sister and I did not get along as well as we do today.  Probably because we shared a bedroom.  We learned later in life this is a disastrous arrangement.  So much so that she shared a room with all the little kids – just so we could maintain our relationship or was that because I may or may not have been somewhat of a brat?    She was too kind to me – or so I thought.

                On occasion, when us kids were not outside playing truly enlightened games such as “Around-the-Garage Tag” we would break out a board game.  Now being the unusually careless children that we were, meant that no one board game kept all its pieces together.  Actually, the box rarely stayed in one piece.  Therefore, the only games we could effectively play were ones that the pieces were more or less inter-changeable.   Like Yahtzee.  All the dice don’t need be from the same package and you can keep score on a random piece of paper if you so choose.  Plus Sister really liked the game – so sometimes I agreed to play.

                Personally, I liked to play games I knew I’d beat her at – in the nature of true sibling rivalry.  And our games always were pretty competitive.  Up until the point when I’d go get a drink of water or something and I’d come back to see Sister had rolled a Yahtzee.  This happened more than twice.  And no, I never suspected a thing.  Years later, maybe even a decade, she informed me of her winning strategy.  She may have even enjoyed that conversation more than “winning” the games. 

              How was I to know?  There was a time I thought we were all excellent rule followers.  It’s ok.  I still love her – that little con artist. 



No comments:

Post a Comment