Saturday, December 18, 2010

Stocking Stuffers

                As I mentioned before, I’m not a HUGE Christmas fan, I just prefer Thanksgiving.  One of the reasons Christmas is not the top of my most favorite holiday list is wrapping presents.  I have never enjoyed wrapping presents - I believe there are a couple of reasons why I do not.  First, it always looks like a small child was responsible when I am done - and in my head the gift was going to look so pretty – so I end up disappointed.  Secondly, I’m not the most patient person in the world and it takes a lot of time for me to fight with the wrapping paper just so the gift is concealed – let alone looks decent enough to give away to the recipient, only to be torn to shreds moments later.  I realize they make gift bags for people who are wrapping-ly challenged like me.  But I accept that unwrapping a gift you’ve been trying to identify from under a tree – or in our case, on the coffee table – for a few days is more enjoyable than pulling something out of a bag.  Therefore, I decided to sit down yesterday and struggle through wrapping up the gifts I’ve purchased.

I think a lot of my issues begin because of my inability to cut wrapping paper in a straight line.  I recall purchasing more expensive wrapping paper in a rush for a birthday or something a year or two ago and finding Hallmark had so kindly printed a grid on the inside of their paper.  Outstanding.  The gift did not look as awesome as I had envisioned – but the stripes on the paper did match up so I was pleased.  

Anyway, I had not seen grid lined wrapping paper since.  You can imagine my joy yesterday when I unrolled my giant roll of candy cane wrapping paper from Target to find grid lines printed.  I was already concerned because I realized after I left the store that the longer the roll of paper is – the longer I had to try and keep my scissors straight and I knew I was bound to fail.  Also, this was my first year stuffing a stocking and it would appear I got a little carried away – nothing fits in the stocking.  I blame my mother for this – she’s notorious for stocking stuffers that don’t actually get stuffed into the stocking.  Which, actually, I’m fine with because the odd shaped presents are always impossible to get out of the stocking Christmas morning.

This actually looks very similar to my brother's stocking - and I was always jealous of it because it looks so cool - and because it looked different from everyone else's so there was never any debate who it belonged to.


So now boyfriend has some candy caned wrapped presents waiting for him – that look less like a small child was responsible and more like maybe a ten year old who was watching TV while half-heartedly wrapping gifts is to blame.  But he is admittedly not the best wrapper ever – so I think he just appreciates my effort.  Now I just have to hope he likes what’s inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment