Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Office


                Who doesn’t love a little office drama?  I hate to admit it – but sometimes I get a kick out of it.  I’ve never been an avid follower of “The Office.”  Caught an episode or three from time to time but for the most part I find Steve Carrel’s character too irritating.  I know, I know – how could I say such a thing?  Can’t be sure really.  (I also don’t prefer Will Ferrell.)   But the episodes I have seen are masterful really.  And yes, I do realize that by definition, sit coms are situational humor, making them identifiable to the majority of the viewing audience but just roll with me on this for a bit.  

                If any of you do or ever have worked in an office building you understand the conversations have, topically, really not changed much since high school.  It’s a regular gossip mill.  And if you were to just so happen to be lucky enough, as I am, to work with 90% women – well you can imagine the chaos.  Now, what happens when you introduce a new character to this cast?  And suppose they were to provide you with a abundance of material for everyone to – I’ll go with ‘chat’- about?  And let’s just say any hints made to encourage behavioral adjustments to help assimilate with the office culture go disregarded? And he’s male? Well I’m sure you get the idea.

                Anyway, these past few weeks have been downright hilarious.  It amazes me how clueless some people (read New Guy*) can be.  And it’s super annoying.  And deliciously entertaining.  And I feel like Jim from “The Office” sitting there contributing commentary as I observe those around me - except I'm way less clever than Jim.  But hey, would work be horribly boring if all we did there was – work?



*Names have been changed to protect people’s identities.  That and I honestly can’t remember the kid’s name since I’ve only referred to him as New Guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment