Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Tis the Season


                Thanksgiving is coming up, as you all are probably aware.  Unless you’ve been shopping lately, then one might be led to believe we’re skipping my favorite holiday this year and just celebrating Christmas.  Personally, I don’t appreciate Christmas music until – the day of.  Maybe Christmas Eve.  But to those radio stations who decided the day after Halloween was a great day to start I say – please stop.  At the very least allow me to progress naturally through the calendar holiday schedule with no confusion or opposition from another upcoming holiday.

                As I said, Thanksgiving is my fav holiday.  It always has been.  EVERYONE from my mother’s side of the family goes to Albany for the occasion.  There are *many* of us. Approx 25 people at dinner – giver or take.   And as significant others get adopted into the family it’s only gotten to be a bigger production.   We aren’t that sentimental of a group.  We don’t have many traditions really.  But I do know two things will happen.  The majority of the group with gets up early in the morning to run a 5k and the “kids” will be cleaning up after dinner.  By kids I mean the third generation.  And by the third generation I mean those of us who don’t try and sneak away quietly to avoid the chaos.  This does, however, generally insure that none of us contribute much to preparation and the "grown-ups" seem to like it that way.

                One year we tried to get up with the “Aunts” and go black Friday shopping.  We realized the error of our ways and have never repeated that mistake.  One year my nutritionist cousin made a pumpkin pie with a fiber one pie crust – I made the mistake of “trying a piece.”  Last year my niece was a tiny blob of newborn, this year she is a tiny, crazy person.  All I know is I’m looking forward to another Thanksgiving enjoyed with the whole fam – and I wouldn’t want it any other way.



No comments:

Post a Comment