Thursday, January 27, 2011

Last Weekend

This past weekend I finally made the long-discussed trip to visit my cousin.  When we first talked about me visiting she lived in NYC.  Now that I finally went – she lives in DC.  All the better for me I suppose, as I had never been to Washington DC.  My 8th grade class didn’t make the bus trip down.  Probably because I was the only one in my class.  Homeschooling doesn’t make for practical class trips I guess.  Anyway – Southwest ran a pretty cheap promo so I flew down for the weekend.  

My cousin lives just over the border in Arlington in a never ever been updated split-level.  She rents her room and therefore, is just as impressed by the decorating as I am.  She apologized profusely before I even got inside – quite unnecessarily I might add.

“Remember when you played M.A.S.H. as a kid and you never wanted a ‘split-level?’ Well that’s what I’m renting now.”

“I think I always thought the ‘S’ was ‘shack.’…probably because I was homeschooled.”

The décor in the place is incredible.  Everything is tiled in pink or blue.  And if it’s not tiled in that color scheme it’s painted with such - the hallway is a lovely robin egg’s blue.  And any leftover wall space is wall papered in all of its tacky patterned glory.  Oh and not to mention the ceramic face plates on all the light switches.  I'm telling you this place is amazing. I'll just give you a taste of one of the bathrooms.  I'm no photographer but, for the most part, the Blackberry takes OK pictures.

Exhibit A: Bathroom  
The Floor

I think the wallpaper is advertising Milk Bath?

In case there wasn't enough going on in there already...

I'm pretty sure there were hieroglyphs on the blue tiles in the kitchen.  Complimented by a pink counter top of course. The oven is original. And the electrical was done upside down so that all the switches are in the "off" position when the lights are on.  I truly enjoyed this part of my trip.

Yes, I did go into DC to explore some things.  Like the Museum of Natural History to see some real dead dinosaurs.  I've determined I am grateful they no longer roam the earth.  I have no desire to meet one of those things.  I saw the Hope Diamond - decided I'd pass on receiving that as a gift.  Didn't prefer the setting it was in.  And I saw the Declaration of Independence all National Treasure style.  Except there were hoards of 8th graders on their class trips who didn't want to let me look at it.

Fun trip.  Great to visit my cousin.  Great to see some history - and by history I do mean the house.

1 comment:

  1. "S" totally stood for shack. (although split-level sounds cooler)

    ReplyDelete