Tuesday, July 26, 2011

30 Day Challenge - Day 2

Day 2: Meaning Behind Blog Name

          Taking The Long Way Around – to be honest I was inspired by the Dixie Chicks song cleverly entitled “Taking the Long Way Around.”  Ok, I didn’t say the name of my blog was original to me.  I’m not that creative.  But I will tell you why I found that song fitting. Ever heard it?
Let’s start with the most obvious:

My friends from high school
Married their high school boyfriends
Moved into houses in the same ZIP codes
Where their parents live

But I, I could never follow
No I, I could never follow

Do I even need commentary on that?  Can we say story.of.my.life?  And if that’s what you chose, then I’m happy for you (we don’t judge here).  I can’t.  Never could.  I went to college, settled in, and I haven’t looked back.  Well I mean I go back.  To see the fam.  Not to live there.  Western NY is my home now.  Feel free to come visit.  If it’s warm out, I’ll show you Niagara Falls.  If not, you’re on your own.

The song is about making your own way, making mistakes, sorting it out, figuring it out.  I wish I had it all figured out, but alas, that is not the case.  After four years of college, friends made, friends lost, jobs, trying to have a puppy, giving said puppy back to my parents, meeting my boyfriend, and heading back to grad school I might have hoped to have a plan by now.  I don’t.  I have a 3-5 year plan.  That interestingly enough, continues to be 3-5 years away even though I keep getting older.  But I do know that my life already has been planned for me, by someone much smarter than I.  So maybe, I’ll keep blogging and we can all see what happens and how I get to where ever it is that I am supposed to be, whenever I find out where that is.  In the mean time.  I’ll blog now, about my life and where I am today.

Also, I’m not necessarily a Dixie Chicks fan, per se.  But.  This song made it on like 78% of my mix cds over the last five years or so.  It’s a good one.  Enjoy.



1 comment:

  1. I don't know why, but this was my favorite blog post you've written. Very real. I like it. Facebook thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete