Friday, February 11, 2011

Writing Prompts

 
                Being the truly enthusiastic blogger I have been, of late, I Googled ‘writing prompts’ this afternoon, in hopes of coming up with something amusing to blog about. After a few random topic generators failed to inspire I came across a site that suggested this:

Find pictures of yourself as a child. Imagine your child self asking your present self to tell a story. What story to you make up?

           I instantly recalled a picture of myself that resurfaced this past Thanksgiving, much to the amusement of my younger sisters, and my friends, but not my boyfriend.  Boyfriend seems to think the fewer people who are aware of this picture the better the world will be.  I say.  Whatev.  I do, however, apologize for the poor picture quality - but it is a picture of a picture.  And a not well preserved original at that.

Circa 1985

                  
                   While I'm not going to tell my poor child self a story, I will tell you that my very beautiful younger sister nearly fell out of her chair laughing when I pulled this beauty out of the pile of pictures we were sorting.  I also asked my mother why she continued having babies after me.  I am confident I would have just thrown in the towel with a "well we tried."   She insisted, as all mothers must, that she thought I was beautiful and showed me off to anyone who would stand still long enough.  
 
                   Some of my friends, when they recover from their laughing fit resulting from this picture, have commented that it's not that bad.  Oh yes it is.  And it better not show up in some slide show years from now at a rehearsal dinner or at my funeral.  Some have confiscated the blackberry so they can send themselves personal copies.  And my friend Emily announced to our table that I look like the baby Grinch.  The iPhone confirmed it.  I do, in fact, look like the Grinch.  I mean even the hair is similar.

What do you think?
             
             I wish I could say the next baby pictures we found over Thanksgiving was a significant improvement but that one was probably from 1987.  My sister (who was a gorgeous baby per all her baby pictures) was dressed to match me and were both work lilac purple dresses with smocking and collars that made us look more like iguanas than anything else. And the picture was one of those classic eighties poses, edited to look like I was a floating head in the background.  I should tell you, I did grow into my cheeks as a toddler and those pictures are much less embarrassing.  Also, my bangs started at the back of my skull.  Ahh the 80's.  

                  I think we can all just agree on one thing - thankfully I didn't turn out looking like this:

                

                  



No comments:

Post a Comment