Monday, May 16, 2011

Welcome to Atlanta Where the Playas Play

Boyfriend:  “Today is going to be the worst day ever!”
Me: “Because I’m leaving?”
Boyfriend: “…Yes….and because I could fall asleep standing up.”

                This year, so far, has been my biggest travel year life to date.  Four trips booked or taken, thus far, and all east of the Mississippi - as to maintain my claim to fame that I have never been west of that river.   I have no aversion to traveling west.  I just don’t know people who live there who want me to come see them.  Anyway, last Thursday I took my third trip of 2011.  Went to Atlanta, GA, to see my oldest and dearest friend.   (She’s not old.  We’ve just been friends since diapers.  And she bought me a teddy bear with a yellow ribbon around his neck for my first birthday party ever.)  Apparently that’s the equation for a life time of Michael W. Smith “Friends are Friends Forever” friendship? 

                I’ve probably flown only ten times my whole entire life.  Maybe twelve.  Doesn’t matter.  And I’ve flown to see her like four of those times.  Thankfully she’s always lived in much more desirable climates than I have – even though Niagara Falls is supposedly the honeymoon destination of the world.  Which – if you’re planning your honeymoon, I’d say maybe breeze by this location in the travel guide.  You’ll certainly be sorely disappointed.  Anyway, she wisely, went to college in West Palm Beach, FL.  And lucky for me – I visited there a few times to defrost for a week or so on spring breaks.  Now she lives in Atlanta.  And after this “Spring” we’ve had - which has been alternating rain and snow until like yesterday when we switched over to just rain, I was ready to see some sun.     

                Friday was beautiful – like gorgeous, and we sat by the pool for an hour.  This is probably the best thing that has ever happened to me.  I got some sun.  Was careful not to get burned. (High five from Mom?)  And then we went shopping.  I bought zero shoes and only dresses - still following my plan to only buy dresses and shoes for the rest of my life.  Probably won’t last long, but that’s all I want right now - so if you have a link to awesome dresses send it my way. (Facebook already told me about ModCloth – but I’m open to any and all others.)  So pretty much awesome day.  Poolside and mall sounds like a little piece of heaven.  Well until my friend’s daughter filled her diaper with something I’ve never seen come out of a tiny human before in my life.  (And I’ve changed more than two diapers.)  Kids, always good for a laugh – and an inopportune need for a new diaper.

                I think the diaper was a sign of things to come because from that point on everyone except me and the baby was SICK with capitals S-I-C and K.  Worked out well that I was there to hold the baby.  And to make magic cupcakes.  Which apparently a few ended up in the sink in another comedy of errors that involved a diaper change.  But I had a so fun time seeing my friends and meeting their baby.  And now the good TSA people of Atlanta have a picture of naked me instead of someone’s Gram.  Good of them to switch us and let her go through the metal detector and me through the x-ray picture taker machine after I had gotten in the metal detector line - on purpose.

                Also thanks to the Phillies being in town we missed out on a Ludacris and Jermaine Dupri concert at Turner Field – which I would have sang right along with them because who doesn’t want to be welcomed to Atlanta where you can “...hit streets, see gangsta’s roamin’ and parties don’t stop till eight in the mornin’ “ by Ludacris himself?  Worked out anyway because of the throwing up sickness that happened. Plus i don't like the Phillies.  And I super don't like them in their throwback jerseys.  So it was for the best that we missed it.  

See?  Stupid. And ugly.


               As far as my 2011 travels go - Atlanta wins this year.  Based on the fact that I didn't have to walk anywhere.  And it was WARM.  And I got to meet the baby. I should very much like to go back there again some time.  Now we just have to hope I don't get the plague they had.
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment